Call For Ideas
Register/Submit: 13 May 2018 (Lisbon time)
The Transversalities Project uses the image as a mean to promote regional cooperation, by benefiting the following items:
– to take advantage of the aesthetic, documental and educational value of the image to promote the inclusion of less visible areas by inventorying resources, enhance landscapes, cultures, and heritage;
– to promote cooperation between people, institutions and territory, within and beyond frontiers endorsing the exchange of experiences and knowledge between places unified by the common Iberian range, spread across different countries from different continents;
– to create new audiences and use new communication technologies as a privileged mean to communicate, appealing to young college students and thus widen the international network of researchers that CEI has been sponsoring over the years.
The pictures collected under this contest should portray the diversity of territories, societies and cultures of different continents in order to allow crossed looks on the changes which are taking place in different parts of the world, show different styles of social organization and space, capture signs of continuity and change, archaisms and innovations that manifest themselves in the most populous cities or rural areas, located in the most remote and distant border areas, which are facing depopulation. The interpretation of the natural, economic, social and cultural landscapes validated in photos will make them an important component of territorial cooperation, as they are valuable resources of promoting the inclusion of remote and less visible regions.
Photos must allude to one of the following subjects:
1. Landscapes, biodiversity and natural heritage
(Natural resources and risks; use, management and planning of natural areas; diversity of contexts and intercourse between men and the environment, etc.).
2. Rural areas, agriculture and settlement
(Goods and agricultural products, organization of rural areas; places and rural architecture, mobility, etc.)
3. The city and the urbanization process
(City, architecture, regeneration and urbanization processes; landscapes, urban environments and experiences, etc.)
4. Culture and society: cultural diversity and social inclusion
(Constructed legacy and cultural heritage, ways of life and social conditions; fight against poverty and social exclusion, etc.)
Application and submission of the photos
1. Registration is free and universal.
2. Applications will be submitted electronically through the www.cei.pt website and contestants must submit the application form properly filled with the following fields: personal information about the author; description for each photo; declaration accepting the conditions of the contest;
3. Each contestant will be assigned a code that will identify the candidate before the jury.
Photos: terms and technical requirements
1. The applicant must guarantee that the pictures are original have not yet been published or disclosed.
2. Photos will not be accepted if:
– Proposed by persons other than the author;
– Already published, exhibited or previously rewarded;
– Contain an identifying element of its author;
3. Formats and dimensions of the photos:
– After filling out the application form, please send the photos in digital format, JPG type [file high-quality compression], for the email address firstname.lastname@example.org. In order to upload files larger than 20MB, send through the www.wetransfer.com site.
– Photos must have a screen resolution of 72 dpi and size (W * or H) from 2000 to 2500 pixels (horizontal* or vertical, according to the angle of the photo);
– Contestants must only send a single file – type zip or rar- which should contain all the contest photos. The file name must be identified by the identification the number of each contestant: identity card number, passport or other. (Ex: 122258045.zip).
Time limit for applications
1. The acceptance of the competition photos begins on February 19, 2018 and ends at 24 pm on May 13, 2018 (Lisbon time).
2. The Jury’s decision will be announced on the official website of CEI (www.cei.pt) until 31st October 2018.
Jury and evaluation
1. The Jury will be selected by the Executive Committee of CEI and will be presided by one of its members and shall consist of a panel of photographers, researchers or other individualities considered relevant for the evaluation process.
2. The evaluation of the material submitted to the competition will be conducted by the jury according to loyalty to the proposed topics, creativity and photographic quality.
3. The winners’ selection will be an absolute, final and irreversible decision of the Jury.
Financial support for contest admittances
Of all participants and photos submitted to the competition will be selected and awarded the following:
1. The Overall Winner for the best and most complete submitted portfolio will receive 1500 Euros.
2. The Winner of each theme for the best and most complete portfolio will receive 750 Euros.
3. The Jury will also award up to 12 portfolios, being each one awarded with 150 Euros.